JCC Chicago touches, engages and connects the Jewish community at all ages and stages of life. Our bold, innovative vision fosters universal Jewish values that strengthen our community through dynamic, life-enriching experiences. JCC Chicago is the largest JCC system in North America, with diverse operations at locations across the metropolitan area. Our core offerings include Early Childhood Education, Children and Family Programs, Recreation and Wellness, Adult Programs, Day Camps and Overnight Camp.
The Manager of Development and Communications administers all Financial Resource Development initiatives related to public relations and external communications including agency promotion, donor correspondence and cultivation materials and board communication. This position oversees grant management for the Agency and supports product/program area staff in the development and submittal of grant proposals to foundations, corporations and the Jewish United Fund as well as the monitoring and reporting on received grants.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Work with Director, FRD and Marketing & Creative Services to develop strategic plans for Public Relations campaigns that will raise the profile, awareness and stature of JCC within the foundation and donor community.
• Work with Director, FRD to develop strategic plan for Annual Fund and designated giving opportunities.
• Support Director, FRD in the development of strategic plans for stewardship, Board communication and donor recognition.
• Coordinate and be knowledgeable of all agency-wide fundraising efforts. Work with agency colleagues on all efforts related to grants, processing/receiving gifts and communication with donors.
• Utilize social media to reach donors and reinforce Agency mission and impact. Develop and implement innovative strategies for engagement.
• With direction from supervisor, solicit and close gifts from donors and prospects. Maintain relationships through mail, phone or in-person contacts.
• Work with Director, FRD to identify donors with capacity for growth toward major and capital gifts as well as developing strategies for stewardship opportunities.
• Identify and research prospective donors and input and maintain data in the Raiser’s Edge database with support from Database Coordinator.
• Acquire knowledge and training on The Raiser’s Edge in an effort to support development of best practice around data sharing, maintenance and reporting within FRD and across the Agency.
• Develop, foster and maintain relationships across the agency and lay leader communities that create a collaborative environment and shared commitment to accomplish the Agency’s FRD goals.
• Partner with Director FRD, Accounting and JUF Endowment Corporation to ensure the proper management, billing, collection and communication with donors to the Endowment Fund.
• Partner with product areas on the development of campaigns directed at their constituents (ie Send a Kid to Camp for Camp Chi) including writing campaign letters, creating copy for web and print materials.
• Work with agency staff and lay leaders around elements of Annual Benefit Event.
• Serve as a liaison to JUF for all event and fundraising related clearances and concerns.
• Build relationship with FRD Committee and Board Members to support ongoing work of FRD.
• Create a directed, targeted and distinct PR initiative that highlights the mission of JCC to the donor community.
• Conceptualize, write and create press releases, news and feature stories to further present JCC mission and vision to the community.
• Consider, develop, propose and implement new strategies, including direct mail, grassroots fundraising, special events, etc. to bring in new donors for Annual or designated giving.
• Conceptualize and develop FRD materials for donor presentations.
• Serving as the content coordinator, work with Marketing & Creative Services to plan, coordinate and execute FRD communication, digital strategies and gojcc.org content
• Identify and research potential corporate giving, foundation and grant opportunities.
• Manage the timely submission of letters of intent, proposals, sponsorship requests, updates, and end-of-year reports to corporate, foundation, family funds, business, and/or government funders. Provide measurement analytics as requested.
• Foster and develop relationships with foundations, grant officers and other fundraising partners, acting as the Agency liaison whenever possible (exclusive of ECS granting relationships).
• Collaborate with agency colleagues to develop and write proposals and reports connected to granting opportunities for various Agency-wide fundraising efforts (exclusive of ECS granting relationships); work with Director of FRD to establish priorities, follow-up tools and measurements.
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing or related with 4-6 years of marketing and communications experience; previous experience in media relations, including outreach, story development and pitches preferred. Previous grant research, writing and grant management experience preferred. Experience cultivating and stewarding donors, working with lay leadership preferred; experience in social media, database programs and content management systems helpful. Successful management of multiple projects and constituents required.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter with demonstrated enthusiasm, strong work ethic, resourcefulness and with experience and knowledge of the Chicago Jewish community and Chicago philanthropic marketplace.